Use Our Search Form to Check Prices & Availability
Great views can be enjoyed from the Citadel. Located at the southwest corner of the town, the fortress offers superb views over the Jardins Allées to the rooftops and spires of the town. The fortress was built between 1667 and 1672, on the order of Louis XIV and it was nicknamed the ‘The Useless Beauty’. Originally built as a city defence, it was never required as there were no invasions after its completion. However, it is notorious with the locals for its firing squad wall. Located outside the fortress walls, it pays homage to the 218 French Resistance members that were executed in the Second World War in the Citadel trenches.